Objectives: To investigate the oncological significance of a robot-assisted radical cystectomy (RARC)-related pentafecta in patients with bladder cancer. Patients and Methods: Using the KORARC database, which includes data from 12 centres, data from 730 patients who underwent RARC between April 2007 and May 2019 were prospectively collected and retrospectively analysed. Pentafecta was achieved if patients met all of the following criteria: (i) negative soft tissue surgical margin; (ii) ≥16 lymph nodes removed; (iii) no major complications (Clavien–Dindo grade 3–5) within 90 days; (iv) no clinical recurrence within the first 12 months; and (v) no ureteroenteric stricture. Patients were divided into two groups according to pentafecta attainment, and a comparison of overall survival (OS) and cancer-specific survival (CSS) using multivariate Cox proportional analysis was then carried out. Results: Of the 730 patients included in this analysis, 208 (28.5%) attained the RARC pentafecta; the remaining 522 (71.5%) did not. The mean age of the patients was 64.67 years, 85.1% were men, 53.6% received a conduit, 37.7% received orthotopic neobladders and the total complication rate was 57.8%. Those who attained the pentafecta received more neobladders (P = 0.039), were more likely to be treated with the intracorporeal technique (P < 0.001), had longer operating times (P = 0.020) and had longer console time (P = 0.021) compared with those who did not attain the pentafecta. Over a mean of 31.1 months of follow-up, the pentafecta attainment group had significantly higher OS and CSS rates compared with the non-attainment group (10-year OS 70.4% vs 58.1%, respectively [P = 0.016]; 10-year CSS 87.8% vs 70.0%, respectively [P = 0.036]). Multivariate analysis showed that the RARC pentafecta was a significant predictor of overall mortality (hazard ratio 0.561; P = 0.038). Conclusions: Patients who attained the RARC pentafecta had significantly better survival outcomes compared with those who did not. These criteria could be used to standardize assessment of the surgical quality of RARC. In the future, a similar study using an independent cohort is warranted to confirm our results.
- bladder cancer
- robot cystectomy